• November 21Holiday Break December 17-January 2

• November 16No School for Students Wednesday, Thursday and Friday November 23rd, 24th and 25th

New Solar Systems Discovered at Doss High School

Kasey Edrington, Writer

Mr. Bressman and Mr. Waterhouse’s sophomores have done a project in collaboration with the University of Louisville and NASA. Based on information on our actual solar system, the sophomores made their own solar system, within our universe, in a creative way using technology. For example, some groups made stop-motion animated videos for their solar system, or as Mr. Bressman said he was most excited about, computer simulated solar systems. They presented their findings on October 12th and 13th to a University of Louisville astronomy professor, and a teacher from another school interested in the project. Before the presentations, the teachers were trying to teach and inspire their students with our own universe in a fun way. For example, on September 19th and 20th, University of Louisville lent the sophomores a portable planetarium and gave them a lesson on our solar system, and also provided them free tickets for two for their real planetarium. Mr. Bressman comments that he was “nervous that the students would not be done or the quality of their work would not be as high” as he wanted, but he then exclaimed that “I was worried for nothing as my students have gone above and beyond…” this was just one of the projects the chemistry teachers had planned this year. Hopefully, the projects after this will have just as BIG of a BANG as this one did.